Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Mother's Love

I wasn't really planning to blog again until I had a fun Halloween update, but just felt compelled to tell you about my day.

So, today I had the pleasure or curse of traveling to Atlanta, GA...up to your interpretation. The city is an awesome place, and my meeting went well. However, the 'monstrous storms' that were attacking the east combined with the stupidity of the Atlanta airport makes for a worse case scenario.

Anyway, while I was eating lunch with one of my female co-workers we had the pleasure of talking about everything but work. We talked about her possible engagement soon, eating healthy, wedding showers, baby showers...anything girly and 'non beer' we could think of. So, I was telling her a little bit about what motherhood is like and how I manage to balance the 'work-mommyhood' balance. Also, how much I think working has helped me as a person, a mom, a wife, and overall as a family. I do, actually, feel very blessed to have the job that I do and help provide for our lil' G-unit. Our conversation continued and we starting talking about all of our friends that are pregnant and a HUGE 100+ person shower she threw a month ago. But, this shower was so deserved because the couple had struggled with getting pregnant. Additionally, she talked about a miscarriage/still birth that her in-laws experienced at 6 months. It immediately made me think of my sorority sister who just lost her 1 and half year old son in an accident. The conversation instantly got directed on the blessings and curse that we experience as mothers. I explained, in the most sane way I could, how much torment we put ourselves through to look after our babies. The mother's mind has the unfortunate ability to think of the extreme worst case scenario and feel such fear just to keep our babies safe. We have to talk ourselves off so many ledges and realize that so many babies now and before our time have survived under tougher circumstances. But, God simply has us mommies wired to protect our young and think of all of the scenarios (that is my opinion). So, we often just have to take a deep breath and leave in God's hands and just enjoy every minute of the ride.

So, my coworker mentioned that her boyfriend is a pharmaceutical sales rep and calls on psychiatrists. And, one of the doctors once told him, "that there is no greater love in the world, than the love that exists between a mother and her child". I instantly got goose bumps, and couldn't agree more...or feel more validated.

4 hours later...I am sitting in the Atlanta airport waiting for my (later) 4 hour delayed flight...after my Delta flight was canceled. Suddenly....I notice my sorority sister walk by. Yes, the same sister I mentioned earlier. This was the first time that I have seen her since college over 6 years ago. We start making small talk, which turns into my condolences. Not to get into too much detail...I pray for her and think about her nearly daily. What she and her family went through are a person's living nightmare and I couldn't feel more terrible. However, despite her tragedy I was amazed at how strong of a woman and mother sat in front of me. Her strength should be admired and is worthy of an award greater than any stupid trophy we hand out for actors, musicians, or athletes. It broke my heart, but made me so happy to see that she travels with his baby blanket, as a precious reminder. It was ironic that all in this one Atlanta day I had an opportunity to talk about, feel, and witness the different levels of a mother's love. All in all, it was a very good day.

Here are some pictures from my day. This is the view from my airplane window this morning....simply stunning!





S

No comments: